>Practicing On The Knitmaster 321

>I was looking through the old ‘Modern Knitting’ magazines trying to find more information about the Knitmaster 321 and I noticed there were quite a few patterns for sweaters that had single motifs on them. When I read through the patterns I found that they were suitable for the 321. I couldn’t remember seeing instructions in the manual on how to knit single motifs so I had a read of it and still couldn’t find any instructions.

So I had a think and tried to figure out how to do it. The only thing that I could think of to make it work would be to put the needles that would be in the background colour into D Position on every row and leave the 24 motif stitches in normal working position.

Anyway, I read a few more magazines and in one of them I came across an article explaining how to do the single motifs. I was nearly right with the way I’d thought of doing it. I hadn’t realised that I would have to swap the yarn in the feeders so that the background colour is in feeder 2 instead of feeder 1. I also hadn’t realised that I would have to reverse punch the punchcard, meaning that the background would be punched rather than the motif.

I decided to give it a go. I marked out the letter S on a punchcard and punched it out – forgetting that I was supposed to punch out the background and not the actual letter. I’d punched half of it before I remembered so I just carried on.

I was going to use some leftover wool, dark green for the background and light green for the motif. Here’s the first attempt:

motif 1

I wasn’t bothered about the mistakes in the S, that was where I dropped stitches it was the light green at either side that wasn’t supposed to be there that I was bothered about but at least I’d managed to knit a motif.

Next I swapped the yarn in the feeders and came up with this:

motif 2

No, still not right. I kept telling myself it should work if I’ve swapped the yarn in the feeders but of course it was never going to work because I’d punched the card wrongly. So I got another punchcard and reverse punched it. I punched out the background like I should have done in the first place and came up with this:

motif 3

Now that’s how it was supposed to look in the first place. I know there’s a few mistakes in it, like the floats knitting in and showing through but a bit of practice will probably help.

So now I know that I can do single motif knitting with the 321. I wonder why it was never mentioned in the instruction manual.

Talk to you later,

Susan.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in machine knitting. Bookmark the permalink.