I had a problem with one of my knitting machines today. It started off OK, I tried knitting one of the sleeves of the next project in the Mary Weaver ribber book. It is a lacey stitch and I think it looks quite nice:
I’m not going to knit the full sweater, I just wanted to try out the pattern. The next project in the book is a man’s sweater in tucked rib stitch. I don’t want to knit a man’s sweater so I decided just to try the pattern stitch. That’s where my problems began:
So yes, I learnt my lesson – always read the book. I did read the instruction manuals for the main bed and the ribber, it was the part in the Mary Weaver book that I missed – the bit about how to arrange the needles. Now if I’d read that part first I would have saved myself a lot of trouble. I will admit that I cried tears of sheer frustration – I just couldn’t understand why it was going wrong. I read and re-read the instruction books over and over again. It was just as a last resort that I read the other book. I wish I’d read it first. Oh well, lesson learned. Here’s how the tucked rib turned out:
I’m glad I managed to get it to work because the next project in the book is a crossover top in a racked tuck stitch which I want to make for myself. It uses the same punchcard and needle arrangement as the tucked rib stitch so I tried it out:
So hopefully next weekend I’ll be able to start on that but I must remember to arrange the needles properly or else it will all end in tears.
Talk to you later,