>A long time ago I mentioned in my blog that I would love to find one of these:
(Click here for a bigger picture.)
Well, I got one. It was on ebay last week for £10 + £10 postage and I was the only bidder. The seller didn’t have the instructions and she said the needle was broken but I didn’t care – I wanted it.
It arrived this morning and it is in immaculate condition:
Here’s the offending broken needle:
To me it just looks like a knitting machine needle so I got one of my spare Knitmaster 4500 needles and snapped the end off so it was the same length as the broken one. I had a bit of a job getting it in place but eventually I did it.
Next I had to figure out how to thread it up which wasn’t easy without any instructions – this is what it looks like inside:
Well, I threaded it up as best I could and tried to stitch along a strip of knitting. It started off OK but then it jammed up. So I tried again and again and again. I snapped the hook off the needle so I had to use another of my spares. The same thing kept happening – it would do a couple of stitches then it would jam up. It was as if the knitting was getting stuck under the presser foot.
By this time I was getting quite annoyed with it so in desperation I logged on to the Yahoo Knitting Machine group and asked if anyone could help me. I got a reply saying that it needed a special needle and they are no longer made.
So that was that, I’d manage to find a Seam Maker but it’s useless without the needle.
I went away in disgust and finished making another bag for my Etsy shop but all the time I was thinking about the Seam Maker and wondering how I could get it to work.
Then I decided to try again. I turned the handle and watched what was happening to see if I could figure out what to do. Everything seemed to be moving smoothly so I had another go at stitching the strip of knitting. This time I pulled it gently as it was feeding under the presser foot. This is what happened:
So I managed to get it to work. It looks like the teeth things (technical term) that feed the knitting through (like those on a sewing machine) aren’t gripping it properly all the time so sometimes it’s not moving and that’s what was causing it to jam. At least I think that’s what was happening.
Anyway, at least I know it works. I may not have the right needle but I think I’ll get away with what I’m using. I’ll have another play with it some time and see if I can adjust it so that the feeder thingy works better.
Talk to you later,