A couple of years ago I bought this from a charity shop for £1.50
Rowan Donegal Lambswool, roughly 5 ounces. It must have been somebody’s leftovers as it was all wound into tiny little balls. At first I thought it was about a 2ply weight but when I tried knitting it following a pattern for a 2ply top I realised it was more like a 3ply.
So I trawled through all my patterns and eventually found one for the Knitmaster 4500 for a simple top. I didn’t knit a tension swatch so I wasn’t sure how it would turn out. The photo on the pattern showed it to be quite close fitting but mine turned out to be a lot looser, which is good for me as I prefer them like that.
I didn’t have enough of the black wool but luckily had some leftovers from the leftovers that I used for the mitred square blanket and was able to finish it off with a couple of stripes.
Here’s what I ended up with
It was supposed to have a folded hem but I decided to do a ribbed band instead as I thought it would use less wool.
The front is only knitted to the top of the burgandy stripe, the shoulders and top of the front are knitted as part of the back and joined at the top of the front.
This is what the back looks like
I sewed it all up with the sewing machine which is something I wouldn’t normally do but I thought it would be easier and neater because of the hems I had to fold around the yoke. I sewed an extra line of stitching to flatten it out a bit more and I think it looks OK.
I really didn’t expect this to be wearable when I started making it, I just wanted to knit something for the sake of knitting but I’m glad it turned out the way it did.
Talk to you later,