About three years ago I managed to buy a Knitmaster Seam Maker from ebay. It is a machine that was made in the early 1960s for sewing up your knitting and works like a hand cranked sewing machine.
The needle is just like a knitting machine needle except the hook is a V shape rather than a U shape. Unfortunately the needle on my machine was broken so I used a normal knitting machine needle which I cut down to the right length using the broken needle as a guide.
I managed to get it working but kept breaking needles and the work wouldn’t feed properly so in the end I just put it away and forgot about it.
A few weeks ago I got it out again and started fiddling about with it, eventually getting it to work more or less as it should.
I increased the pressure on the presser foot by tightening the screw nearly as far as it would go. Then I reduced the stitch size which stopped the work from puckering.
It’s not perfect (having the wrong needle doesn’t help) but it’s usable.
You might wonder why I bothered messing about getting this machine to work when I’ve got a Hague Linker. Well, I enjoy the challenge and I just like using old machines.
Talk to you later,