I downloaded a free chart of the British flag and decided to have a go at knitting it on the SK280. I haven’t really done much intarsia apart from a few jumpers I made on the Bond many years ago. I didn’t have any red, white and blue wool so I used some odd leftover balls in other colours just to see if I could do it.
It took me all of Sunday afternoon to knit this tiny flag which measures 4″ x 5″
I had quite a tangle of wool on the floor in front of me. At one stage there were thirteen balls in use on one row and with the wool being second hand it wasn’t straight, it was all crinkled which didn’t help. Next time (if there is a next time) I will wind the wool onto pieces of cardboard with little nicks in them so I can secure the wool to them and stop them getting all tangled up on the floor.
I made one or two little mistakes but as it was only a practice piece it doesn’t matter.
I did have an idea in my head about making a few union flags (in the right colours) and incorporating them into a jumper using the sew as you go method but after spending four hours knitting this tiny flag I think I’ll scrap that idea – life’s too short.
I’ll probably have another go at intarsia only next time I’ll try something that doesn’t have thirteen colour changes in one row.
Talk to you later,