One of the requests I received for things to make was toys so I had a look through all my old magazines and found lots of patterns, some of which I hope to knit up at some point. The first one I tried was for a zebra and a horse. It’s the same instructions for both except that the zebra is striped and the horse has a saddle and reins.
This is what I ended up with:
As you can see, the zebra won’t stand up and he’s a little bigger than the horse which also has difficulty staying upright. I knitted the zebra at tension 10 and the horse at tension 9 (standard gauge machine) using cheap Double Knitting acrylic yarn (Poundworld – they’ve got lots of colours). I think the horse knitted up better than the zebra.
Zebra measures about 14 inches from his nose to his bottom, Horse measures about 12 inches. They both measure about 10 inches from the top of the head to the floor.
Their inability to stand upright properly is probably due to me not sewing the legs on very well. I tried to follow the making up instructions, using the black and white photo as a guide but I didn’t do a very good job of it. The instructions are a little vague, especially for the ears which I suspect I might have sewn on backwards.
If you try this pattern I hope you have more success than I did with sewing the legs on!