This is yet another pattern from an old Modern Knitting magazine, this time from September 1959.
I am not at all happy with the way this one came out. As you can see in the photo I made quite a few mistakes in the pattern. Despite the Knitmaster 4500’s ability to hold on to stitches it couldn’t hang on to all the stitches in this pattern and managed to drop quite a few. I didn’t notice they had dropped until a few rows after they’d gone so left them all until it was off the machine and tried to pick them up keeping the pattern correct. I obviously got it wrong.
I ran out of the white 3ply so my blanket ended up about 100 rows short of what it should have been. It’s final measurement is 20 x 23 inches.
I had no ribbon to bind the edges so cut an old T shirt into 2 inch wide strips and joined them together. I didn’t do a very good job of sewing this make shift ribbon around the edges, as you can see.
Despite not being happy with the finished result, the pattern does look quite nice. The purl side doesn’t look much from a distance but close up it looks a lot better:
I actually prefer the plain side:
Here it is from a distance with the mistakes clearly visible:
It is quite an easy pattern to knit but I found it time consuming and tedious.
For anyone who fancies having a go at it, here is the pattern:
Talk to you later,