This was knitting up fine until I got to the collar then it started to go wrong. It was supposed to have a proper collar and I decided, in my wisdom, to knit it seperate then sew it on, rather than to pick up the stitches and knit it straight onto the jumper – “it will be easier that way” I somehow convinced myself. I attached the collar using the Hague linker, removing the waste yarn that was holding the live stitches before I started joining it. After taking it off the linker I realised my mistake. I had sewn it on the wrong way – the seam was on the outside. I couldn’t take the collar off because I’d pulled out the waste yarn so would probably have unravelled some of the stitches.
This was the point where I became fed up with the jumper and just wanted it done with. So, what to do about the collar. I decided to pull it out to about half way then fold it over to the front and backstitch it into place to make a folded band, hiding the seam in the process. I managed to thread a length of waste yarn through the stitches to hold them then folded the band over and began backstitching it into place. I couldn’t do it. It was easy enough bringing the needle up through a new stitch but going back into the previous stitch to do the backstitch was nearly impossible. I tried my best but was getting more and more frustrated with it so ended up just slipstitching it into place, that way I only had to go into each stitch once. As it turned out you can’t even see the stitching so I got away with it.
Next I had to knit the two front bands. This time I put the front openings of the jumper straight onto the needles so I wouldn’t have to sew the bands on afterwards. I did manage to make a mess of hanging one side onto the machine but I didn’t realise until after I’d knitted it and removed it. By that time I didn’t care anymore so the mistake stays there for all to see.
The yarn was a bargain from a charity shop and only cost £4, there is even some left over so I could maybe use it to make a pair of socks or something.
There are no washing instructions on the ball band so I think it will be safest to machine wash it on the woollens cycle. The only information given is this:
I’m glad to have finished knitting this jumper. It started out OK but ended up being a bit of a pain. Hopefully the next one will be easier.
Talk to you later,