Back in 2006 I knitted this jumper on the Bond Ribber. At first it was alright but after being worn and washed so many times it became baggy and the ribbing on the cuffs and welts lost their stretch completely. So I decided to pull it all out and re-knit it on the Bond without the ribber. I knitted a tension swatch and washed it, then created a pattern using Knitware.
Here’s the finished result:
You can’t really tell from the photo but it is a bit crinkly in places because the acrylic yarn wasn’t straight when I re-knitted it. I didn’t think it would matter too much because the yarn is not one solid colour. To be honest I’m not really that bothered, I just wanted a jumper that fitted properly again.
I have a couple more jumpers that could do with the ribbing tightening up because they’ve been worn and washed so often. This one will be the next to be altered. The cuffs were knitted on after the sleeves had been knitted so they shouldn’t be too difficult to pull out and re-knit but the ribs at the bottom of the front and back were knitted first so they are going to be a bit of a headache. I can’t just pull it all out and start again because for one thing I did a cut and sew neckline so I would lose a lot of yarn and would end up with not enough to re-knit a full jumper. The other thing is that it’s acrylic and I don’t think I’d be able to straighten the yarn once I’ve pulled it out so it would be all crinkly and would look quite bad when it’s re-knitted.
I might just have a go at the cuffs and if they turn out OK I’ll try and tackle the front and back ribs. If not I’ll just chuck it and not bother. I want it to work though, I like the jumper!
Talk to you later,