I fixed the lilac jumper that I mentioned in my last post. I can’t say it looks as good as new but it’s wearable again and that’s all I was bothered about.
The cuffs were easy to do as they were added on after the sleeves had been knitted so it was just a matter of pulling them out and re-hanging the stitches then re-knitting the ribbing.
The front and back ribs were a little trickier but not as bad as I thought they would be. They had been knitted first so I couldn’t pull them out from the cast on row. I suppose it would have been technically possible but would have resulted in a big tangled mess, not recommended for stress levels.
I threaded a length of contrast coloured yarn through the row of ribbing immediately before the main knitting. I had to remember that I would be turning it upside down to re-hang it so had to be careful to thread it through loops and not gaps. After a couple of false starts I eventually got it right and was able to remove the ribbing without losing the stitches on the main knitting. I unravelled the ribs, re-hung the jumper and re-knitted the ribs.
I now have a jumper that doesn’t flap about at the bottom and I can do the washing up without having to keep pulling the sleeves back up all the time. I might get another couple of years out of it now.
Talk to you later,