I spent the last of the money I received for my birthday in December on two 250g balls of Magic Aran, which is a self patterning acrylic. I found it at Poundstretcher in the town. I didn’t know what the pattern was going to come out like but was pleasantly surprised as I watched it emerge. I think it looks like rows of little pink flowers:
I decided to do a cut and sew neckline as I didn’t want to spoil the pattern by knitting one side at a time. Luckily I didn’t mess it up, if I had I don’t think I would have had enough yarn left to re-knit that section.
I am really happy with the neckline. I don’t often do cut and sew and this time I did it differently. While I was knitting it I threaded some red yarn through the stitches that would have been cast off if I’d been knitting it the normal way. This marked exactly where the neckline was. I zig zag stitched directly onto this red yarn with the sewing machine then cut away the unwanted bit of knitting. After joining one of the shoulders I hung the front and back onto the knitting machine with the wrong side facing me, as you would usually do. This part could have gone wrong if my zig zag stitches had snapped as it was them that were stopping the work from unravelling. But everything was fine and I knitted the neckband to twice the length I needed and converted it to rib, knitted a row of stocking stitch and took it off on waste yarn. Then I folded the neckband in half to the inside and sewed it down.
Normally I would have knitted the neckband seperately then joined it onto the jumper using the Hague linker, folding it to the outside rather than the inside but as this was aran weight yarn I thought it might be too thick for the Hague linker.
You cant see any sign of the red marker yarn showing through apart from a tiny piece at one of the shoulder seams but if you didn’t know it was there you would never notice it so it doesn’t matter.
I knitted this jumper on the Bond using keyplate 3. The pattern was created using Knitware.