I used Knitradar sheet number 201 for this. I would have called this a boat neck but the pattern sheet calls it a slashed neck.
I thought as there is no shaping to the body of this jumper it would be easy to knit a centre panel in a different stitch and I decided to do a tuck stitch panel. Usually tuck stitch knits up wider than stocking stitch but the pattern I chose left every fourth needle out of work and after washing the tension swatches the stitch measurement of both the tuck pattern and stocking stitch were identical but the rows were much different, 49 for the stocking stitch and 74 for the tuck stitch measured over 4 inches.
On the Knitradar sheet I drew a line in pencil where I wanted the panel to be. I put it in the same place where the marks for the neck opening are:
After casting on and knitting a 2×2 rib, I pushed all the needles to the left of the pencil mark into holding position and knitted a plain stocking stitch panel, marking for the armhole with a length of spare yarn. I then knitted that off onto waste yarn.
Next I knitted the plain stocking stitch panel on the left side, again marking for the armhole, then knitted this off onto waste yarn.
This left the centre panel to knit. If I’d been doing it in fair isle or lace I could just have carried on and knitted the panel and joined it with sew as you go but as I was doing a tuck stitch and the pattern is on the purl side rather than the plain side, I had to take the stitches off onto waste yarn, turn the work around and rehang it. Even then I couldn’t do sew as you go because of the difference in the row count between the plain and tuck stitch.
I used punchcard 3A from the basic Silver Reed set, with every fourth needle back in non working position, making sure that the first needle to the right of the centre ‘0’ was out of work.
After knitting the panel I took it off onto waste yarn, turned the work around again then rehung all three sections onto the machine and completed the top ribbing.
For rhe sleeves I joined the shoulder seams and hung the work onto the machine between the armhole markers and knitted the sleeves from the top down to the cuffs. The cuff ribbing was about 10 stitches narrower than the bottom of the sleeve so I had to take it off onto waste yarn and rehang it, doubling up some stitches across the row.
Finishing was just a matter of joining the side and sleeve seams and joining the tuck stitch panel to the plain panels on the front.
When I tried it on after sewing it up it wasn’t right at all and I thought I’d messed the whole thing up but after washing it was fine. Of course I should have known it would be as I’d taken the measurements from the swatch after it had been washed.
I did have to narrow the neck opening by about an inch or so on either side but apart from that it all worked out fine.