I finished knitting this last weekend. Like the last jumper I knitted on the Bond, this one has knitted up the wrong size. The previous one came out bigger than expected, this one came out smaller. I don’t understand why as I washed and dried both swatches before measuring them. I must have mis-counted on both of them.
Despite it being a bit smaller than intended it’s still wearable so it’s not a complete failure.
I received a Bond USM carriage for my birthday and used it for this jumper. It is of far inferior quality than the original carriage and does feel rather flimsy. I really don’t think this one will last the 30 years that my old one has!
However, I did find it better than the old one would have been for knitting the contrasting blocks on the front of the jumper. The old one has a wire fabric guide so it’s a little trickier to change colours while knitting the row. With the new carriage you can take out the first colour at the exact point that you want to change and just put the second colour in.
I’ve put the Bond away for now and am now concentrating on the Orion that I talked about in my last post. I’ve started knitting a piece nearly the full width of the machine in a racked pattern. If all goes to plan I will use the lenth of fabric that it produces to make a cut and sew top. I haven’t got a pattern for it yet, I haven’t decided whether to buy a sewing pattern or take apart a top that I already have and use that as the pattern template. I do have Knit Radar sheets but to use them I would have to re-draw them and re-scale them, probably making a right mess of it and getting myself in a muddle.
I’ll just carry on knitting until I’ve used up the full cone then I’ll decide how I’m going to finish it. That’s if I manage to do all the knitting without making any mistakes!