Yesterday I finished the cut and sew top and although it didn’t turn out exactly as planned it’s not a complete disaster and hopefully I will have learnt from my mistakes.
The seams aren’t brilliant, neither are the hems and the neckband is atrocious!
I made a complete hash of the neckband, there’s no getting away from it. The pattern instructions said to use bias binding which I didn’t have so I decided to just knit a length of stocking stitch and sew it on. As you can see I made a mess of it. It might not have looked so bad if I’d managed to get my stitching straight but I didn’t – it’s about as straight as a dog’s hind leg! It also gapes at the back:
This is how it looked before I added the neckband and hemmed the bottom and the sleeves:
Anyway, now that it’s finished, would I do it again? The answer is yes. With practice I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to do a lot better than this and there are things I would do differently.
I wish I hadn’t knitted a patterned fabric for my first attempt, I wish I’d just done plain stocking stitch. To make things more complicated for myself my patterned piece wasn’t long enough (due to it coming off the needles when it shouldn’t have) so I knitted a plain piece and joined the two together. This might not have been a problem if the join had been smooth but of course it puckered and the only way I could flatten it was to steam and press it which ‘killed’ the acrylic so I ended up with a lot thinner fabric than I had originally. It ended up more like a thick T-shirt fabric than a woolly jumper fabric.
I didn’t knit enough fabric to make long sleeves so I had to make short sleeves instead.
I have a Brother sewing machine which I bought about twenty years ago. A couple of years ago I won a Silver Bug sewing machine in a giveaway and decided to use that one to sew up the top. I figured it’s a newer machine so it will be better but I was wrong. I couldn’t find the right zig zag stitch to use on the edges to stop it fraying, every one I tried made the edges stretch out and go wavy. It wasn’t until I put the neckband on at the end that I decided to try the Brother instead and after a quick read of the manual I found the recommended settings for an overlock stitch. I tried it and it worked perfectly. I wish I’d used the Brother from the start, I will definitely use it for my next attempt.
I do have an idea for my next cut and sew project and hopefully it will turn out better than this one, I think I just need a little more practice.