I found ten balls of light blue yarn in a charity shop for £2. I thought they were 50g balls so there would have been enough to make a jumper for me but when I got them home I realised they were only 20g balls, enough for the back and front of a jumper so I would have to make the sleeves using leftovers.
A few months ago a lady called Anne very kindly gave me an intarsia yarn brake so I decided I would try it out. I found some instructions online and searched for an intarsia chart to use. I decided I wanted to put a white star on the front of the jumper and found this one.
I knitted the back first, it was done on the Silver Reed SK280 using the Knit Radar. Once I knew how many rows there were up to the armholes I was able to work out when to place the chart when I knitted the front. I found it very easy to thread up and use the yarn brake and it made it easier to knit each row because I didn’t have to keep hold of all the ends as I moved the intarsia carriage along.
I made a couple of mistakes when I was following the chart but they aren’t really noticable so nobody would know. Here is a closer view of the star:
For the sleeves I just used what I had left over. After I’d knitted them I thought the lilac looked out of place, it didn’t seem to fit in with the rest of the colours very well so I decided to add some to the neckband thinking it would kind of pull the colours together. I’m not sure if that worked too well but it is what it is and I don’t think it looks too bad.